Now is a great time to explore college options. 

Visiting a college is a wonderful way to find out about programs, scholarships, student activities, etc.

Tips for the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid—how you get free money from the government and colleges) 

  • Students and their parents can fill out the FAFSA after Oct. 1
  • Before starting the FAFSA, students need to create an FSA ID
  • You will need the following:
    • Your Social Security Number (student and parents if parents have social security numbers). If parents don’t have parents, it’s okay.
    • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
    • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
    • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
    • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

*****CEC will host FAFSA workshops to help you complete the FAFSA. Make sure you sign up to attend (in Senior Seminar) or email senior counselor Michele Roth-Stobbe at to sign up.

College (or Scholarship) Application Essays

Interested in out-of-state schools?

Check out WUE schools. WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) allows you to attend certain out-of-state schools without the out-of-state tuition. Partner schools are located in states including Hawaii, Arizona, California, Montana, Wyoming, Washington and Oregon.  It can be cheaper to go to one of these out-of-state schools than it is to go to a Colorado school!

Out of state schools have visit days, too, and will often fly you out or help pay for costs for you to visit.

For questions, please contact Michele Roth-Stobbe